My grandmother always made these cookies for us for Christmas, and now I have inherited that task. I make them throughout the year because I enjoy baking a lot. With rich cream cheese in the dough and the sugary almond topping, a batch doesn’t last long at our house!
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk, lemon peel and extract. Combine the flour, oats and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Beat egg and egg white; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sugar; top with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Oatmeal Cookies in Country Extra May 2006, p51
Reviews for Lemon Oatmeal Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review