Lemon Oat Bars
A sweet oat mixture does double-duty as crust and topping for these refreshing lemon bars from Margaret Scoresby of Mosinee, Wisconsin. “One of my college roommates gave me this recipe many years ago, and I’ve been making it for my family for years,” she says.
9 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup cold butter
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt and
- cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Press 3 cups into a greased
- 9-in. square baking pan; set remaining oat mixture aside. Bake at
- 350° for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, lemon juice and peel. Pour over
- crust. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes or
- until edges are brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 465 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 334 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Wine: This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.: Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven