VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg yolks and milk. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to pan. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add butter, lemon juice and peel; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in cinnamon. Fold in almonds. Spread hot filling over crust. Spread topping over filling. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Meringue Torte in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p67
Reviews forLemon Meringue Torte
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 30, 2010
"First recipe I've tried from TOH that did not work out. Filling did not have lemon flavor I had hoped & could not get meringue to set up correctly."