Lemon Meringue Tarts Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/3 cups cold water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Lemon slices and mint sprigs
- 1. For meringue, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- 2. Drop meringue into six mounds on parchment-lined baking sheets. Shape into 4-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Bake at 225° for 55 minutes. Turn oven off and do not open door; let meringues dry in oven for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, sugar substitute and cornstarch. Gradually stir in the water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Remove from the heat. Stir about half of the hot mixture into the egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice and lemon peel. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 5. Just before serving, fill meringue shells with lemon mixture. Garnish with lemon slices and mint. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 196 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 33mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Tarts
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.