Lemon Meringue Tarts Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/3 cups cold water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Lemon slices and mint sprigs
- 1. For meringue, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- 2. Drop meringue into six mounds on parchment-lined baking sheets. Shape into 4-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Bake at 225° for 55 minutes. Turn oven off and do not open door; let meringues dry in oven for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, sugar substitute and cornstarch. Gradually stir in the water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Remove from the heat. Stir about half of the hot mixture into the egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice and lemon peel. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 5. Just before serving, fill meringue shells with lemon mixture. Garnish with lemon slices and mint. Yield: 6 servings.
One tart equals 196 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 33 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.