Lemon Meringue Tarts Recipe
Eating less sugar meant limiting sweets, so I adapted this longtime favorite of my mother-in-law's. For a fun twist, spread the meringue into a regular-size pie tin, bake it and add the lemon filling. -Gloria Schwarting of Stuart, Virginia
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/3 cups cold water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Lemon slices and mint sprigs
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Drop meringue into six mounds on parchment-lined baking sheets. Shape into 4-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Bake at 225° for 55 minutes. Turn oven off and do not open door; let meringues dry in oven for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, sugar substitute and cornstarch. Gradually stir in the water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir about half of the hot mixture into the egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice and lemon peel. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, fill meringue shells with lemon mixture. Garnish with lemon slices and mint. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Meringue Tarts in Light & Tasty December/January 2004, p37
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Tarts(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >