Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 additional minutes. Gradually stir in 1 cup of hot filling to egg yolks; return to saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. Pour hot filling into pastry shell.
- 2. For meringue, beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar in a bowl at medium speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff and glossy. Immediately spread over pie, sealing edges to pastry.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 382 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Pie
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.