Lemon Meringue Pie Cookies Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- LEMON CURD:
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla and cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- 2. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a #24 star tip. Fill bag with meringue. Pipe 1-in. circles 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Pipe one or two circles over the edge of the base, forming sides.
- 3. Bake at 300° for 25 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and peel until blended. Add butter; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a metal spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 5. Just before serving, spoon lemon curd into the center of cookies. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 cookie: 38 calories, 1g fat (0g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 11mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0g fiber), 1g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 0 starch.
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Pie Cookies
"This is all my favorite parts of lemon meringue pie! It was definitely worth the effort. I am also gluten free and always looking for great dessert recipes and this is a new favorite of mine. I did make these bigger so I had less cookies but in general I tend to always make bigger cookies. I will definitely be making these again. My husband couldn't stop eating them!"
"These take some effort but boy are they worth it. The lemon curd is the perfect combination of sweet and tang. These are beautiful, delicious and they will not last long."
"LOVE these !!!!!!!! Yummy !! I eat gluten free and this is like having lemon meringue pie. Will make MANY more times !!! I want to make a key lime version !!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.