Lemon Meringue Pie Cookies Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- LEMON CURD:
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla and cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- 2. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a #24 star tip. Fill bag with meringue. Pipe 1-in. circles 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Pipe one or two circles over the edge of the base, forming sides.
- 3. Bake at 300° for 25 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and peel until blended. Add butter; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a metal spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 5. Just before serving, spoon lemon curd into the center of cookies. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 cookie equals 38 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 11 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.