- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 additional minutes. Gradually stir in 1 cup of hot filling to egg yolks; return to saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. Pour hot filling into pastry shell.
- For meringue, beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar in a bowl at medium speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff and glossy. Immediately spread over pie, sealing edges to pastry.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forLemon Meringue Pie
"It does not give directions on how to make crust or if you even bake a crust first Other than that sounds good"
"Did not come out very good. The lemon filling was very thick. Could be the 6 Tbs of cornstarch is way too much. Might try again with less cornstarch."
"everyone loved it. Came out great"
"Wonderful recipe! My husband's favorite pie is lemon meringue. I have made quite a few versions but this one is a winner for "keepers"!"
"This pie tasted good and the merigue turned out beautifully but when I cut into it, it has all this moisture causing the crust to get soggy. Maybe I should have let the filling cool more before I put the merigue on. Any suggestions? I will probably try this again just to see what the results are the 2nd time before I am too quick to judge."
"This was an awesome recipe, it was my first time trying to make lemon meringue from scratch rather than a box and this recipe will definatley be used over and over!! Thank you....I had a hard time with the meringue it took me a couple of takes to get it just right!!"
"This looks like the same recipe my grandmother used. Just in the last couple of times I have used this recipe though the custard comes out perfect until I put it in the oven to bake the meringue. Then the filling goes runny. Any suggestions for what I am doing wrong?"
"This looks like the same recipe my grandmother used. Just in the last couple of times I have used this recipe though the custart comes out perfect until I put it in the oven to bake the meringue. Then the filling goes runny. Any suggestions for what I am doing wrong?"