- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 additional minutes. Gradually stir in 1 cup of hot filling to egg yolks; return to saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. Pour hot filling into pastry shell.
- For meringue, beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar in a bowl at medium speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff and glossy. Immediately spread over pie, sealing edges to pastry.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Pie
"It does not give directions on how to make crust or if you even bake a crust first Other than that sounds good"
"This is the best lemon meringue pie recipe I've ever used. The lemon flavor in the filling was just right, and also wasn't too sweet. The finished pie with the baked meringue was really beautiful. This is a keeper."
"Did not come out very good. The lemon filling was very thick. Could be the 6 Tbs of cornstarch is way too much. Might try again with less cornstarch."
"everyone loved it. Came out great"
"Wonderful recipe! My husband's favorite pie is lemon meringue. I have made quite a few versions but this one is a winner for "keepers"!"