- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yogurt, lemon juice, peel and extract.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture; stir just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake 17-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes clean. Remove from the oven. Increase oven setting to 400°.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Spread or pipe meringue onto muffins. Bake 6-8 minutes longer or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Muffins(16)
Sort By :
Loved them. The batter was amazing and I had to force myself to actually bake them. Not to heavy or to sweet either.
This was a great recipe. My husband loves lemon meringue pie and he thought these were a close second. The meringue did not weep, although I just made them a few hours ago. The only change I would make next time is to maybe fill the inside with some lemon curd.
I thought these were really good. I used limes instead of lemons, because that's what I had on hand, and wow! So tasty! The meringue actually did NOT get weepy overnight in the fridge, so no worries there! I can't wait to make these again, this is definitely a keeper!
I made these for the second time tonight, they're really wonderful! I didn't have very much luck with the meringue the other night, so I pulled out some meringue powder and used that tonight. PERFECT!!
I made this tonight and it is very very dry. I was very dissapointed as I expected a moist refreshing lemon pie taste. Not moist at all just DRY.