Lemon Meringue Muffins Recipe
These muffins taste like a favorite pie of mine. The meringue adds a unique flavor.—Nancy Kearney, Massillon, Ohio
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yogurt, lemon juice, peel and extract.
- 2. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture; stir just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake 17-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes clean. Remove from the oven. Increase oven setting to 400°.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- 4. Spread or pipe meringue onto muffins. Bake 6-8 minutes longer or until meringue is golden brown.
- 5. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 muffin equals 188 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC