- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small saucepan, combine 2/3 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice. butter and peel. Pour into four 6-oz. custard cups; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Immediately spread meringue over lemon mixture, sealing edges to sides of cups. Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Meringue Desserts in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p31
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Desserts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review