Lemon Meringue Dessert Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 4 packages (2.9 ounces each) cook-and-serve lemon pudding mix
- 2-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 9 cups water, divided
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour and sugar. With a pastry blender, cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Press into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large kettle or Dutch oven, combine pudding mixes, 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water and egg yolks. Stir in remaining water until smooth. Whisk over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil. Set aside and keep warm.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peak form and sugar is dissolved. Spread hot pudding over crust. Evenly spread meringue over filling, sealing edges to pan.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on wire racks for 1 hour. Refrigerate. Cut with a moistened knife. Yield: 2 desserts (12-15 servings each).
1 serving (1 piece) equals 205 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 93 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Dessert
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.