Lemon Meringue Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup lemon creme pie filling
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil, eggs and lemon peel; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a very small tip. Fill with pie filling. Push the tip into the top of each cupcake to fill.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Pipe over tops of cupcakes.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 5-8 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cupcake: 153 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
"These are really delicious. I took them to work and they disappeared fast. I did not use canned lemon pie filliong. I made my own from scratch - it does not take too long. They were pretty tasty the next day too."
"These were delicious. I followed the directions exactly and they were easy and turned out great. They were still the good the next day too after sitting in the fridge overnight."
"Love to make but what is lemon creme pie filling? Is it in a can or a box? Can someone help me on this? Thanks."
"I made these for my church and everyone loved them....awesome recipe"
"So very good, moist too. They are devoured in no time at all."
"look so good, can't wait to try them. to golliwog--you should be able to freeze cupcakes WITHOUT the meringue. Add the meringue when ready to serve."
"What is "lemon creme pie filling"/ There is no product like that available in our stores. The lemon curd idea sounds good."
"These sound great BUT can they be frozen?"
"I made these for my family last night and they loved them. I used lemon curd instead of pie filling and the taste was great. I used a torch to brown the meringue, much faster and easier then the oven. Definitely a keeper. Thank you."
"These are fantastic!!!!!!! Everyone raved about how great they are. I was a little leery about canned pie filling but I had a ton of cupcakes to make for a wedding so I tried the canned and it worked great and saved me a ton of time. Will definitely make these again soon :)"
"We loved this lemon treat and I will definately make this again!"
"These are excellant, similar to a recipe that my mother used to make when I was growing up."
"Made these for easter. Everyone loved them. I'll definitely make them again."
"Made them for Easter Sunday and they were a big hit everyone loved them. One of the guests commented that they were better than the ones her husband had purchased last week from a pricey gourmet cupcake shop. Definitely a keeper will add to my top 10 cupcake recipes!"
"This was a pretty good recipe and my cupcakes turned out well and tasty, but with a few modifications. First, I made the lemon pie filling from scratch, I mean come ON! There's nothing like it. Second, since I had only one, dozen cupcake pan, I decided to bake all the cupcakes first before I filled and meringued them. So, to bake the meringue, I put all but a few baked cupcakes on a large cookie sheet, and only left a few in the cupcake pan. It turned out that those in the cupcake pan overcooked a bit, and were more difficult to get out of the cups with the meringue on. Those on the cookie sheet cooked beautifully and were much simpler to handle. My youth group gobbled them down!"
"Made these yesterday per recipe. EVERYONE loved them. took some to work and most were gone before I got to the lunchroom. Will definately make again and again."
"No review just a question. Has anyone tried this with say, chocolate?"
"I use Meyer Lemons to make my own filling, but this recipe is a favorite at Josie O's Bakery!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.