- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup lemon creme pie filling
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil, eggs and lemon peel; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a very small tip. Fill with pie filling. Push the tip into the top of each cupcake to fill.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Pipe over tops of cupcakes.
- Bake at 400° for 5-8 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Sort By :
"These are really delicious. I took them to work and they disappeared fast. I did not use canned lemon pie filliong. I made my own from scratch - it does not take too long. They were pretty tasty the next day too."
"These were delicious. I followed the directions exactly and they were easy and turned out great. They were still the good the next day too after sitting in the fridge overnight."
"Love to make but what is lemon creme pie filling? Is it in a can or a box? Can someone help me on this? Thanks."
"I made these for my church and everyone loved them....awesome recipe"
"So very good, moist too. They are devoured in no time at all."