Classic lemon meringue pie inspired these gorgeous little cupcakes. The tangy treats hide a surprise lemon pie filling and are topped with fluffy toasted meringue. Make them for your next special gathering. —Andrea Quiroz, Chicago, Illinois
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup lemon creme pie filling
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil, eggs and lemon peel; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a very small tip. Fill with pie filling. Push the tip into the top of each cupcake to fill.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Pipe over tops of cupcakes.
- Bake at 400° for 5-8 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Meringue Cupcakes in Country Woman April/May 2012
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review