- 1 package lemon or yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, water and oil. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water and juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in butter and lemon peel. Cool completely.
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on an ovenproof serving plate; spread with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread meringue over top and sides. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Cake
"Made this today and fell in love! Great tasting, we used golden yellow cake mix. Our cake was to thin to slice so we just put all the filling between the two cakes. Still turned out great!"
"Great cake! My dad loves lemon meringue pie and I thought this would be a change for his birthday. It as a hit. Making it again for Easter."
"I made this for the first time ever for our fourth wedding anniversary on 4/07/2014. I did it the night before. Such a simple cake, yet you look at it and it screams, "Elegance!" I wish I could post a photo! Next time I'll make cupcakes with lemon curd filling. In case anyone is wondering if there's a homemade yellow cake mix, here's the one I used: http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/homemade-yellow-cake-mix/ I did a test batch with the water and oil as prescribed here but it didn't turn out well. So I did another one following the lady's directions on the link. Thank you for sharing."
"I have made this with Angel Food Cake as well to reduce calories. It has become the birthday cake of choice. Fabulous recipe."
"I have been making this delicious cake for years. It's perfect with a golden vanilla or funfetti cake mix too! Also if you bake it on parchment paper you can transfer it to a cake stand or plate easily and then just trim the paper to fit the cake after you transfer it. otherwise the meringue does stick to whatever you bake it on. I always get wonderful compliments when I make this cake, it looks beautiful and tastes amazing."