Lemon Meringue Angel Cake Recipe
- 12 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (10 ounces) lemon curd
- MERINGUE TOPPING:
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift 1/2 cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- 2. Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 3. Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 4. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake; split into two horizontal layers. Place cake bottom on an ovenproof plate. Spread with lemon curd; replace cake top.
- 5. For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread over top and sides of cake. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 14 servings.
1 piece equals 238 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 121 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.