Lemon Meringue Angel Cake Recipe
- 12 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (10 ounces) lemon curd
- MERINGUE TOPPING:
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift 1/2 cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake; split into two horizontal layers. Place cake bottom on an ovenproof plate. Spread with lemon curd; replace cake top.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread over top and sides of cake. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 14 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters Moscato, sweet floral aromas of peach and honey. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Lemon Meringue Angel Cake
Sort By :
I used a store bought cake, split it into 2 layers and added the Lemon Curd. After frosting it with the meringue I baked it until the peaks were nice and golden. The cake looked like it had taken all day to do, when in fact, it took under an hour to finish. The taste is delicious. If you like lemon meringue pie, you will like this cake. I will definitely be making it again. The only problem I had was finding the Lemon Curd. Had to go to 3 stores before finding it.
TASTED GREAT - I WILL MAKE AGAIN
I used the store bought cake and sliced it in half to add the filling. Baked for 18 minutes. It worked perfectly!
My family and I love this recipe - for something different try lime or raspberry curd.
I really love this cake! It's delicious! And the taste is super, with the lemoncurd and meringue! A real birthday cake for my family who can't eat Chocolate! This one's even better than a Chocolate cake! Thanks for sharing! :-)