Lemon-Maple Butternut Squash
"My mother discovered this healthy recipe that's become a family favorite. We enjoy its bright color, smooth texture and flavorful combination of tangy lemon and sweet maple," says Barbara Ballast, Grand Rapids, Michigan. A teacher who lives to cook and bake, Barbara dreams of having her own catering service one day.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 large butternut squash (2-1/2 pounds), halved lenghtwise and seeded
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Place squash cut side down in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking
- dish. Add water. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or
- until tender. Scoop out the squash and place in a large bowl, add
- the syrup, butter, lemon juice and peel; beat until smooth. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 186 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 41 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.