Lemon Loaf Recipe
I found this recipe in my files one day when I was looking for a bread that called for ingredients already in my pantry. I gave the loaf to some friends, and it was a hit.
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in pecans and lemon peel.
- 2. Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 3. For topping, combine sugar and lemon juice. Spoon over bread while still in pan. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 201 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC