- 1 cardboard cake circle (9 inches)
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and flour.
- Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat
- until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg
- yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle
- boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently
- stir in the juices, butter and peels. Transfer to a small bowl; cool
- for 10 minutes. Refrigerate until chilled.
- For cake: In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and
- fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla. Combine the sour cream, juices and lemon peel.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the
- creamed mixture alternately with sour cream mixture, beating well
- after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at
- 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place the cake circle on a baking sheet; layer with one cake layer
- and half of filling. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer.
- For meringue: In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on
- medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1
- tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and
- sugar is dissolved.
- Spread meringue over top and sides of cake. Bake at 350° for
- 28-32 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Carefully
- transfer to a cake plate. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 567 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 144 mg cholesterol, 348 mg sodium, 98 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a