I baked these bars for a luncheon on a hot summer day. A gentleman made his way to the kitchen to compliment the cook who made them.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lime peel. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake 13-15 minutes or just until edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in another large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Combine flour and baking powder. Gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in lemon juice and peel; beat until frothy. Pour over hot crust.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut into squares. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon-Lime Bars in Country August/September 2004, p49
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon-Lime Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review