Lemon Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 cup chopped leeks (white portion only)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped peeled parsnips
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 8 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, saute leeks in oil until tender. Add the next five ingredients; saute for 3-4 minutes. Add water; bring to a boil. Add lentils and bay leaves. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in lemon peel, salt, dill and pepper; simmer 30 minutes longer or until lentils are tender. Discard bay leaves. Stir in lemon juice. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Lemon Lentil Soup
Sort By :
"Very good and flavorful. I used onion (did not have leeks), used 1 sweet potato instead of parsnips and I used red lentils instead of the regular brown ones. I was leary about using all of the lemon juice so I only added half and then tasted and decided to add the rest, it adds a nice balanced flavor. Very hearty. I don't think you'll be disappointed with this soup."