I love lentils but never had a recipe that really enhanced their flavor...until I found this one! The touch of lemon juice gives this dish a light, refreshing appeal.
Recommended: 73 Reasons to Get Behind Meatless Monday
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 green onions, sliced
- In a small bowl, combine 4 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, mustard, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water, lentils, bay leaf and remaining oil to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat. Let stand for 30 minutes; drain if necessary. Discard bay leaf. Add the tomato, parsley, onions and dressing; mix gently. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Lentil Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p56
Reviews for Lemon Lentil Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 18, 2014
"My first time trying lentils, and I really liked them in this dish! The dressing is refreshing and has lots of flavour. I didn't add tomatoes/onions, instead added feta cheese - and used canned lentils."