Sugar, chopped pistachios and lemon peel sprinkled on top of these cookies make them extra special. Feel free to use whatever cookie cutters you have on hand.
Recommended: 25 Potluck Desserts to Feed a Crowd
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, cream and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks and water. In another bowl, combine pistachios, lemon peel and remaining sugar.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. leaf-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Brush with egg yolk mixture; sprinkle with pistachio mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Leaves in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p50
Reviews forLemon Leaves
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 18, 2010