- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, cream and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks and water. In another bowl, combine pistachios, lemon peel and remaining sugar.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. leaf-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Brush with egg yolk mixture; sprinkle with pistachio mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Leaves
Sort By :
I was looking for a special cookie to make for Thanksgiving. I tried this recipe for a few friends, and before I knew it I had fans from Pa to Connecticut and Massachusetts! Everyone loved the unique flavor and the presentation as well. This is now a new fall tradition in my home!