Lemon Kolaches Recipe
I love to bake and try new recipes. These soft rolls are a favorite. I like to experiment by adding different flavors to the creamy filling. —Eileen Weitnauer, Aitkin, Minnesota
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 eggs
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add sugar, butter, salt, lemon peel, eggs and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- 2. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Divide in half; shape each half into 12 balls. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten each ball to a 3-in. circle. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat all filling ingredients until smooth. Make a depression in the center of each roll; add filling. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 194 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC