- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 eggs
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add sugar, butter, salt, lemon peel, eggs and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half; shape each half into 12 balls. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten each ball to a 3-in. circle. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat all filling ingredients until smooth. Make a depression in the center of each roll; add filling. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Lemon Kolaches
"Disappointed! Followed recipe exactly and they looked just like the photo. However they didn't taste good at all. Very little lemon flavor and funny after taste. The filling was not good either. So very time consuming to end up with a big batch in this condition."
"Wow! These were so easy and delicious. I added a little lemon extract to the cream cheese. The dough was very easy to work with. I froze some for camping and they were just as yummy - actually, we preferred them heated up after being frozen! Thank you for sharing!!"
"We really enjoyed these! i even froze some. I will be making them again in the near future. I have just sent another recipe to my sister... I sent 2 already and I will be making some more tomorrow for a good friend! Thanks for the recipe!"
"These turned out awesome! I made them for a family gathering and everyone loved them."