Lemon Icebox Dessert Recipe
I always remember my mom making this for her bridge club and hoping that when I got home from school she would have a piece left for me...she always did! —Sue Draheim
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 8 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For filling, in a large heavy saucepan, combine egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, lemon juice and peel. Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Add to the egg yolk mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° and coats a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- 3. In another large saucepan, combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and remaining sugar and water. Cook over low heat, beating with a hand mixer on low speed until mixture reaches 160°. Pour into a large bowl; beat on high until soft peaks form. Gently fold into yolk mixture. Spread over crust.
- 4. For topping, in a small bowl, beat the cream and confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form; spread over filling. Combine coconut and orange peel; sprinkle over top. Cover and chill for 4 hours or overnight. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 344 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 150mg cholesterol, 141mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Lemon Icebox Dessert
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC