Lemon-Herb Roasted Turkey Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 medium lemon, halved
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 14 garlic cloves, peeled
- 24 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the butter, lemon juice, lemon peel and minced thyme. Pat turkey dry. Sprinkle salt and pepper over skin of turkey and inside cavity; brush with butter mixture. Place the lemon, onion, garlic and thyme sprigs inside cavity. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- 2. Place flour in oven bag and shake to coat. Place bag in a roasting pan; add turkey to bag, breast side up. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close bag with tie provided.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Remove turkey to a serving platter and keep warm. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 14-16 servings.
8 ounces cooked turkey equals 525 calories, 27 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 230 mg cholesterol, 489 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 64 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer