Lemon-Herb Roasted Turkey Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 medium lemon, halved
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 14 garlic cloves, peeled
- 24 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the butter, lemon juice, lemon peel and minced thyme. Pat turkey dry. Sprinkle salt and pepper over skin of turkey and inside cavity; brush with butter mixture. Place the lemon, onion, garlic and thyme sprigs inside cavity. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- 2. Place flour in oven bag and shake to coat. Place bag in a roasting pan; add turkey to bag, breast side up. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close bag with tie provided.
Bake at 350° for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Remove turkey to a serving platter and keep warm. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy.
Freeze option: Place sliced cooled turkey and turkey parts in freezer containers and freeze. Freeze cooled gravy in separate containers. To use, partially thaw turkey and gravy in refrigerator overnight. Heat turkey and gravy in a covered skillet, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 14-16 servings.
8 ounces cooked turkey equals 525 calories, 27 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 230 mg cholesterol, 489 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 64 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer