Lemon-Glazed Poppy Seed Ring
I like to modify existing recipes to be more interesting. This bread is a combination of three old standbys; the poppy seed kolaches my Ukranian grandmother used to make, the cinnamon rolls I learned to make in Girl Scouts and the lemon glaze from my favorite bundt cake.
14 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 tube (16.3 ounces) large refrigerated flaky biscuits
- 1/2 cup poppy seed filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Do not separate biscuits. Place on a greased baking sheet and pat
- into a 14-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Spread poppy seed filling to within
- 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long
- side; pinch seam to seal. Bring ends together to form a ring; pinch
- ends to seal.
- With scissors, cut from outside edge to two-thirds of the way toward
- center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Gently stretch ring to form a
- 4-1/2-in. center. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling
- to show.
- Bake at 375° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
- pan to a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm
- coffee cake. Cool. Yield: 1 loaf (14 slices).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 183 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 341 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.