Lemon Ginger Cutouts Recipe
I bake these cutouts for Thanksgiving and Christmas, then decorate them in the colors of the season. If I run out of time before the holidays, I simply skip the frosting step and sprinkle the colored sugar directly on the cookies before they go in the oven. The end result is just as festive and still yummy.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/2 hours + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:96 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- Colored sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add corn syrup, honey and lemon peel. Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. Divide dough into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes with floured 2-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 3. For frosting, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough water to achieve desired consistency. Spread over cookies. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired. Yield: about 8 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC