On a recent trip to Italy, I became addicted to gelato. My favorite choice was lemon because Italian lemons have an intense flavor. This recipe brings back memories of our vacation. —Gail Wang, Troy, Michigan
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Process: 20 min. + freezing
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in sugar until
- dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks.
- Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Add lemon peel. Cook and
- stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats
- the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat; strain. Stir in lemon juice. Cool quickly by
- placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in
- cream. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according
- to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to a freezer container;
- freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 361 calories, 26 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 213 mg cholesterol, 40 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.