- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Add lemon peel. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil.
- Remove immediately from heat; stir in lemon juice and cream. Place in a bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard; refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with remaining mixture. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Gelato
"Hi I just wanted to know if it is degree calcium or Fahrenheit when it says 175"
"I made this for a friend because it's her favourite dessert. I made it exactly as written, but using a commercial ice cream maker churned for 20 minutes. I personally thought it was a bit too tart, but this is her exact review "your lemon Gelato was friggen unreal! It reminded me of my Nana's lemon tarts mixed with authentic Italian gelato. It was the closest thing I've had since we went to Italy, and believe me.... I've been looking!"Would definitely make this again!"
"This recipe is outstanding! It's very creamy, very refreshing and quite easy to make. My husband and I both enjoyed it and I will definitely be making it again!"
"This is one of the most amazing recipes I have in my recipe box. It tastes like lemons. Everyone who likes lemons LOVES it. I would call it more of a custard, though. I have had gelato and do not care for the texture. The texture of this is SUPERB!"
"I have made this recipe and I am using splenda instead of sugar so that my diabetic husband can have a sweet treat! Love it!"