- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed
- mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake
- at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and
- water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer
- or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the
- pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2
- minutes longer. Remove from the heat; gently stir in lemon juice and
- butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Place one cake on serving plate; spread with half of the filling.
- Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake.
- For frosting, in a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg
- whites, water and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on
- low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until
- frosting reaches 160°, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks
- form, about 7 minutes. Frost top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with
- coconut. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 564 calories, 22 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 127 mg cholesterol, 360 mg sodium, 88 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.