Lemon Easter Bread Recipe
This yeast bread is an Easter tradition at my house, but I also bake it other times of the year. While the bread is in the oven, the aroma is fantastic!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, pudding mix, eggs and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 214 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 121 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC