Lemon Dreams Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add flour and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in lemon juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in butter and lemon peel. Cool.
- 5. Spoon 1/2 teaspoonful into each cookie. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 3 dozen.
2 each: 180 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (10g sugars, trace fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Lemon Dreams
"I substituted lemon flavoring in place of the vanilla. It really makes for a lemony taste in every bite!"
"I made these for an summer engagement party and filled them lemon curd and also apricot..raspberry and fuji apple fillings...all were wonderful..and a beautiful display..I am now making them again for a summer baby shower...this is a very light melt in your mouth cookie much like a russian teacake but tasting more like a shortbread..Wonderful!!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.