- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and
- salt. Stir in lemon juice until smooth. Cook and stir over
- medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low;
- cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a
- small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to the pan,
- stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in butter and lemon peel.
- Spoon 1/2 teaspoonful into each cookie. Dust with confectioners'
- sugar if desired. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 180 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 146 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.