Lemon Dessert Sauce
While this sauce makes a wonderful topping for angel food cake, it's also great as a glazed for roasted chicken with some thyme or rosemary...or swirled in to a homemade cheesecake.—Connie Jurvevich, Atmore, Alabama
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- Angel food or pound cake
- In the top of a double boiler, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in butter,
- lemon juice and lemon peel. Cook over simmering water for 10-12
- minutes or until mixture reaches 160° and is thick enough to
- coat the back of a metal spoon. Refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Serve chilled over the cake. Yield: 1 cup.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without cake) equals 241 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 90 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.