- dissolved. Fold in flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Divide mixture in half.
- Fold vanilla into one portion; set aside. In another large bowl,
- beat egg yolks on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Stir in
- almond extract. Fold in unflavored egg white batter.
- Alternately spoon batters into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Gently
- cut through batter with a knife to swirl. Bake on the lowest rack at
- 325° for 50-60 minutes or until top springs back when lightly
- touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely.
- For filling, soften gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water; let stand for 1
- minute. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and
- remaining water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook
- and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1/2
- cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring
- constantly. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Cook and
- stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and
- lemon peel. Gently stir in lemon juice and softened gelatin until
- gelatin is dissolved.
- Cool room temperature without stirring. Fold in whipped cream.
- Refrigerate until mixture achieves spreading consistency, about
- 40-50 minutes.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake; split
- into two horizontal layers. Spread filling between layers and over
- top of cake. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 334 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 169 mg cholesterol, 202 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.