Lemon Daffodil Cake Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups egg whites (about 9)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- LEMON FILLING:
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup cold water, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Divide mixture in half. Fold vanilla into one portion; set aside. In another large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Stir in almond extract. Fold in unflavored egg white batter.
- 2. Alternately spoon batters into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Gently cut through batter with a knife to swirl. Bake on the lowest rack at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely.
- 3. For filling, soften gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water; let stand for 1 minute. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and remaining water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1/2 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and lemon peel. Gently stir in lemon juice and softened gelatin until gelatin is dissolved.
- 4. Cool room temperature without stirring. Fold in whipped cream. Refrigerate until mixture achieves spreading consistency, about 40-50 minutes.
- 5. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake; split into two horizontal layers. Spread filling between layers and over top of cake. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 334 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 169mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (39g sugars, trace fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Lemon Daffodil Cake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.