Lemon Custard in Meringue Cups Recipe
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Sweetened whipped cream
- 1. For meringue, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vinegar, vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon egg white mixture into eight mounds on paper. Shape into cups with a spoon.
- 3. Bake at 300° for 35 minutes. Turn oven off and leave door closed; let shells dry in oven at least 1 hour. Remove shells from paper. When thoroughly cooled, store in an airtight container.
- 4. For custard, in a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and remaining sugar and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 5. Beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; gently stir in the lemon juice, peel and butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Chill.
- 6. Just before serving, fill meringue shells with custard and top with whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 270 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Lemon Custard in Meringue Cups
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.