Lemon Custard in Meringue Cups Recipe
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Sweetened whipped cream
- 1. For meringue, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vinegar, vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon egg white mixture into eight mounds on paper. Shape into cups with a spoon.
- 3. Bake at 300° for 35 minutes. Turn oven off and leave door closed; let shells dry in oven at least 1 hour. Remove shells from paper. When thoroughly cooled, store in an airtight container.
- 4. For custard, in a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and remaining sugar and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 5. Beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; gently stir in the lemon juice, peel and butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Chill.
- 6. Just before serving, fill meringue shells with custard and top with whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 270 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (49g sugars, trace fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Lemon Custard in Meringue Cups
"Egg yolks are mentioned in step 5 Onager."
"Have made something similar to this and it was delicious. Think you missed listing the egg yolds in the custard. Onager"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.