- For custard, in a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and
- remaining sugar and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir
- over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook
- and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks;
- return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook
- and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; gently stir in the
- lemon juice, peel and butter. Cool to room temperature without
- stirring. Chill.
- Just before serving, fill meringue shells with custard and top with
- whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 270 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.