Lemon Custard in Meringue Cups Recipe
My husband loves lemon meringue pie. This variation is a favorite of his. I like it, too...it's very easy to make but looks very elegant. I've served it at every occasion from a formal dinner party to just a casual get-together. Ever since I was a young girl, making desserts has been a favorite hobby. Over the years, I've filled two binders with recipes for them!
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Sweetened whipped cream
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vinegar, vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon egg white mixture into eight mounds on paper. Shape into cups with a spoon.
- Bake at 300° for 35 minutes. Turn oven off and leave door closed; let shells dry in oven at least 1 hour. Remove shells from paper. When thoroughly cooled, store in an airtight container.
- For custard, in a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and remaining sugar and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; gently stir in the lemon juice, peel and butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Chill.
- Just before serving, fill meringue shells with custard and top with whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Custard in Meringue Cups in Country Woman July/August 1991, p33
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Custard in Meringue Cups(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 6, 2010
Have made something similar to this and it was delicious. Think you missed listing the egg yolds in the custard. Onager