Lemon Custard Ice Cream Recipe
I found this recipe several years ago and make it whenever I have the opportunity. One thing I like about this ice cream--other than the pleasant lemon taste--is that it does not turn icy the next day. -Susan Litwak Bellevue, Nebraska
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing YIELD:16 servings
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 2. Whisk a small amount of hot milk mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 3. Remove from the heat; stir in cream and lemon juice. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 2 quarts.
1/2 cup equals 318 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC