Lemon Custard Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 4 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Whisk a small amount of hot milk mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cream and lemon juice. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 2 quarts.
Reviews for Lemon Custard Ice Cream(8)
Sort By :
Delicious but a little too lemony for me, so I cut the lemon juice to 2/3 cup and it was great. Thank you
This was very good. Changes I were 4 c. Milk, 4 c. 1/2 & 1/2, 2 tsp vanilla and 1-2 T. Lemon extract because that's all I had on hand. Still come out great.
Very good. I used lemon juice from the bottle (RealLemon, 1 cup) and it tasted great. Very lemonly. It is homemade ice cream and a bit labor intesive -- which is why I gave it four stars instead of five.
On the lemon juice, I didn't know if it needed to be freshly squeezed juice or bottled juice. I used freshly squeezed lemons which produced a very mild lemon flavor.
Yum recipe like real lemon pie and the texture was perfect! The directions on the other hand made it difficult. Getting the egg in without cooking it is tricky. Once it was done chilling in the ice water I simply transferred it to the ice cream maker canister (it only filled it two thirds of the was anyway)and refrigerated till it was pretty cold. Then I made the ice cream in the machine/maker for about 20 minutes. We ate some right away and ate the rest a few hours later.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Ice Cream >
- Ice Cream Recipes >
- Kids Desserts >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Make Ahead Desserts >