Lemon Custard Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Whisk a small amount of hot milk mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cream and lemon juice. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 2 quarts.
Reviews for Lemon Custard Ice Cream
Sort By :
This sounds delicious & I'm looking forward to trying it. But I thought you only use egg yolks in a custard. Is this a misprint?
Delicious but a little too lemony for me, so I cut the lemon juice to 2/3 cup and it was great. Thank you
This was very good. Changes I were 4 c. Milk, 4 c. 1/2 & 1/2, 2 tsp vanilla and 1-2 T. Lemon extract because that's all I had on hand. Still come out great.
Very good. I used lemon juice from the bottle (RealLemon, 1 cup) and it tasted great. Very lemonly. It is homemade ice cream and a bit labor intesive -- which is why I gave it four stars instead of five.
On the lemon juice, I didn't know if it needed to be freshly squeezed juice or bottled juice. I used freshly squeezed lemons which produced a very mild lemon flavor.