Lemon Custard Cake
Just to prove a quick meal doesn't have to go without dessert, field editor Sue Gronholz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin shares her simple recipe for Lemon Custard Cake. "It comes from my grandma and is also nice to whip up when unexpected company stops in," Sue informs. "It's a cool, creamy dessert that tastes like you fussed."
12-16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 1-1/2 cups cold whole milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry or strawberry pie filling
- Tear angel food cake into bite-size pieces. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in.
- pan. In a bowl, combine the pudding mix, milk and sour cream. Beat
- until thickened, about 2 minutes. Spread over cake. Spoon pie
- filling on top. Chill until serving time. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 143 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 201 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.