- For lemon curd, in a heavy saucepan, cook and stir the sugar, lemon
- juice and butter until smooth. Stir a small amount of hot mixture
- into egg; return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring
- constantly; cook 2 minutes longer or until thickened. Stir in lemon
- peel. Cool for 10 minutes. Cover and chill for 1-1/2 hours or until
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla and lemon
- peel. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to
- creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for
- 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10
- minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a
- small round pastry tip. Fill bag with lemon curd. Insert tip 1 in.
- into center of each cupcake; fill with curd just until tops of
- cupcakes begin to crack.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, vanilla, salt, confectioners'
- sugar and enough milk to achieve frosting consistency. Frost
- cupcakes. Store in the refrigerator. Garnish with flowers or lemon
- peel if desired. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 376 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 286 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.