- On a floured surface, roll each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut
- with a floured 3-in. fluted round cookie cutter. With a floured
- 1/2-in. round cookie cutter, cut out the centers of half of the
- cookies. (Reroll small cutouts if desired.)
- Place solid and cutout cookies 1 in. apart on ungreased baking
- sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in
- lemon juice until smooth. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and
- bubbly, about 2 minutes. Stir a small amount into egg yolks. Return
- all to the pan; bring to a gentle boil; stirring constantly. Cook
- and stir 2 minutes longer until mixture reaches 160° and coats
- the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter and lemon peel. Pour into a
- bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill for 2-3 hours (mixture
- will be thick).
- Spread 1 tablespoon filling on bottoms of the solid cookies; place
- cookies with cutout centers over filling, pressing down lightly.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 353 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 264 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.