- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ground pecans, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Confectioners' sugar
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in pecans. Divide dough in half; shape into logs. Wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a floured surface, roll each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. fluted round cookie cutter. With a floured 1/2-in. round cookie cutter, cut out centers of half the cookies. Place solid and window cookies 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small saucepan. Stir in lemon juice until smooth. Over medium heat, cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon, about 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat; stir in butter and lemon peel. Pour into a bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill 2-3 hours (mixture will be thick).
- Spread 1 tablespoon filling on bottoms of solid cookies; top with window cookies, pressing down lightly. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Curd Cookies in Taste of Home February/March 2005, p49
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Curd Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review