Usher in spring with these tender, lemony cupcakes. “It's a recipe from my mother that I spiced up a bit,” shares Bertina Johnson from Waynesboro, Virginia.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon extract
- 5 to 6 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and extracts. Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cream. Beat just until combined.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 325° for 15-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat shortening until fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar , extracts and enough milk to reach spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Cupcakes in Taste of Home
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review