Lemon Crumb Bars
“I'm always looking for a great new cookie or bar to try, but I often return this tried-and-true recipe,” says Anna Miller of Quaker City, Ohio. “My husband loves the combination of sweet and salty!”
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 2 cups crushed saltines (about 60 crackers)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, butter and egg until crumbly.
- Stir in cracker crumbs; set aside 2 cups for topping.
- Press remaining mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with
- cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until edges are
- lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks, milk and lemon juice. Pour over
- crust; sprinkle with reserved topping. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or
- until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
- Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 bar equals 153 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.