The fluffy filling for these light crisp shells has a delectable citrus flavor. —Doreen Martin, Kitimat, British Columbia
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- LEMON FILLING:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour all at once, stirring until a smooth ball forms. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs and remove tops; discard soft dough from inside. Set puffs and tops aside to cool.
- For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine egg, sugar, lemon juice and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate until partially set.
- In a large bowl, beat cream and sugar until stiff peaks form; fold into lemon mixture. Fill cream puffs; replace tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Cream Puffs in Taste of Home February/March 2004, p9
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Cream Puffs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review