- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping thawed
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and lemon peel. Gently stir in lemon juice. Refrigerate until cool.
- In a bowl, combine flour and nuts. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press onto the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth; carefully spread over crust. Spread with cooled lemon mixture. In another bowl, beat milk and pudding mixes on low for 2 minutes; beat in vanilla. Fold in half of the whipped topping. Spread over lemon layer. Spread with remaining whipped topping. Chill for at least 4 hours before cutting. Yield: 18-24 servings.
Reviews forLemon Cream Dessert
"This is absolutely, amazingly delicious. I made it as the recipe states and then I thought, "If I am making lemon pudding from scratch, why not the vanilla pudding, too?" So I do. Instant pudding doesn't have the greatest taste. This takes a WHOLE lot longer than 30 min. prep. I fool around making this during the day. Crust must cool, puddings must cool.Must chill for four hours. If you have company, make it the day before. NOTE: this freezes well, but it is a bear to get out of the pan after it is frozen. It does not deter my husband from chiseling it out of the pan. I prefer using the Rich Whip where you have to whip the stuff yourself. Cool Whip doesn't have the greatest taste either. After making the two different puddings from scratch, I am half way to an angel food cake from scratch!!"
"Made this for Easter and loved it! A little on the sweet side but awesome just the same! Was gone in two days! Next time I will try to make it a bit healthier but as far as taste - this recipe is awesome! Very creamy and refreshing."
"I found this recipe in June/July 2002 issue I picked up at a garage sale. What a wonder find. Made this for Super Bowl Sunday and it was a big hit with the family. Even the picky eater loved it. Will make this again for sure! Passed the recipe on to my wonderful daughter-in-law, she so loved this dessert."
"Rave reviews at family gathering! Asked 3x's for the recipe. Husband says this is our new family standard for desserts. Took me a bit longer than expected, but more than worth it. Looks beautiful & tastes great. Thank you!"
"This is one of my favorite desserts. I have made this numerous times and always get compliments on it."
"This dessert is soooo worth the time and effort! I've made it several times and I get asked for the recipe every time. I followed the recipe exactly and I've also used just a graham cracker crust and both are amazing!! Love it, love it, love it!! Highly recommend it!"
"Wow. I made this for Father's day and it was WONDERFUL!!! Give yourself plenty of time. I did not modify at all. I used fresh lemon juice which tasted perfect. I already had a request to make this again. Very rich but worth every minute and "calorie". This is definitely going to be a favorite."
"Made this for Easter, very good,,, but I would decrease the sugar,( we like it tart). Also it wasn't very firm when sliced!! Did I do something wrong?Very tasty so I would make it again!!!!"
"I made this for a women's luncheon/35 people. Rave reviews & recipe requests. Kudos to you ladies. I am kind of slow & it took me a little longer to make. When I confessed this to the ladies, they told me MY extra time was worth it! My husband loved it too & agreed with the extra time being well spent. Thank you for being so generous & sharing your efforts!"
"I tried this recipe at a church potluck. It was a hit!! Several people said that I should enter it in a contest!!!!"