Lemon Cream Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition (batter will be thick).
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups with 1/4 cup of batter. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, cream butter and confectioners' sugar in a small bowl until light and fluffy. Add the lemon juice, vanilla, lemon peel and milk; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 244 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Lemon Cream Cupcakes
"This recipe is amazing! So easy to make. I'm using this to make cupcakes for my brother's wedding, I am also making chocolate cupcakes and am wondering if I can use this same recipe for the chocolate cupcakes? How would I do that? Please help... the wedding is august 8th"
"I only did the cake on this one and honestly used what I had. I didn't have fresh lemon so I used 1 1/4 tsp of lemon extract and the lemon taste was just right. I also used 1 cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream as that was all I had. And I use 3 tbs to 1 egg of olive oil mayonnaise instead of eggs. They tasted just like those lemon girl scout cookies. I put a butter cream icing on top. I will use this recipe with other flavors in the future!"
"These were not my kind of dessert but came out quite yummy - I thought they had a lot of lemon taste in them and will use this recipe again"
"My husband really enjoyed these 'moist and lemony' muffins. I sprinkled them with yellow colored sugar."
"I loved the texture and moistness to this cake. I actually am going to try using it as my vanilla cake recipe without the lemon and adding some vanilla beans. YUMMY!"
"These are good cupcakes, not too sweet and the lemon flavor is very delicate. I had them without frosting, but with sliced strawberries mixed with sugar like a small strawberry shortcake."
"cupcakes were very good but the icing was too tart, I would cut back on the lemon juice just a little"
"I've made this recipe twice the first one true to the directions and it didn't have as much lemon flavor as I would like. Second time I added a little more lemon zest and also about 3 tablespoons of lemon curd to the recipe and it was wonderful.Frosting is very nice as well not overly sweet with the citrus in it."
"This is truly a cupCAKE recipe. I made Lemon cream cheese frosting and the crowd went wild!"
"This rating is for the lemon frosting...I cheated and used lemon cake mix for cupcakes. :) The lemon frosting is EXCELLENT! I used 2 T. of milk and had to add a little more powdered sugar but will definitely add this to my recipe box! Thanks for sharing!!"
"This was good, but the texture is more like a pound cake - very dense but moist due to all the sour cream. I added 1/4tsp lemon extract to the batter and doubled the frosting. I also added a little salt (to taste) to the frosting to help bring out the flavor. One tip: there isn't enough butter to cream the butter and powdered sugar first for the frosting. Cream the butter by itself and then add the rest of the ingredients. Very nice lemon flavor."
"This was a lovely recipie but when I make it next time, I will add a bit of lemon juice to the cake. They barely tasted of lemon at all. If it wouldn't have been for the frosting, they probably wouldn't have tasted like lemon at all. All in all they were lovely though!"
"Made these to bring to Easter at my grandmother's and they were a big hit! I ended up having to make more frosting than the recipe called for, not sure why. The photo here has more frosting than I put. But they were very rich and moist and yummy, the frosting a perfect foil for the milder taste of lemon in the cupcakes. Will make again!"
"these are fabulous, not too lemony on the cake, great lemon in the frosting. Perfect!"
"These were really very good, but mind you I made them differently. I didn't have time to make any lemon curd, so I just made the cake only. I already had a cream cheese/powdered sugar frosting made, so I just stirred in some mushed up cooked strawberries. The cupcakes were very good! Great texture, great lemon flavor (I added a tiny bit of lemon juice for more flavor, and I sifted the dry ingredients several times to make a lighter cake). So, take the comment for what it is - these were fabulous, but I changed a lot. :) email@example.com"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.